Provisional Voters: Make Sure Your Ballot Gets Counted
Provisional voters have until 4:00 pm Friday to provide the City of Madison Clerk’s Office with their photo identification. The Board of Canvassers will meet at 4:00 pm Friday to count provisional ballots for voters who met this deadline.
Ten provisional ballots were issued at City of Madison polling places on Tuesday. Based on data from previous elections, the Clerk’s Office anticipates that at least 30 percent of provisional ballots will be counted.
Provisional voters may provide their missing documentation to the Clerk’s Office in person, or via e-mail or fax.
Wisconsin law is very specific about what forms of identification can be used for voting purposes:
- Wisconsin driver license expiring after 11/03/2020
- Wisconsin DOT-issued photo ID card expiring after 11/03/2020
- U.S. passport expiring after 11/03/2020
- Military ID card expiring after 11/03/2020
- Certificate of naturalization issued within last 2 years
- Unexpired Wisconsin driver license or state ID receipt
- Unexpired ID receipt issued by the Wisconsin DOT through the ID Petition Process
- ID card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin, regardless of expiration date
- Unexpired ID issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college—must contain issuance date, student signature, and expiration date within 2 years of issuance, along with proof of current enrollment.
- Unexpired ID issued by the Veterans Health Administration
- Citation or notice of intent to revoke or suspend Wisconsin driver license, issued within 60 days of the election
The ID does not need to show a voter’s current address.
The Dane County Voter ID Coalition offers free help with the state ID application process, and even offers free cab rides to the DMV. The Coalition’s website has helpful information: VoterIDWisconsin.org. They can also be reached at (608) 285-2141. The Coalition is a joint effort of the League of Women Voters of Dane County and NAACP of Dane County.
- Maribeth Witzel-Behl, (608) 266-4601, firstname.lastname@example.org