Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 12:02pm

Registration must now take place in City Clerk's Office.

Voter registration has closed for the September Primary. At this point, the only way to register or to update a voter registration is to go to the City Clerk's Office with proof of residence.

The following items may be used as proof of residence as long as they are current and list the voter's name at his or her current address:
• Utility bill (up to 90 days old)
• Wisconsin Driver's License
• ID Card issued by Wisconsin Department of Transportation
• Bank statement
• Tax bill
• Residential lease
• Paycheck
• Government check or document
• Student ID issued by UW-Madison or Edgewood College that includes a photo, as long as the student is listed on the certified housing list provided by the university or college. This option is not available for students in private housing.

If an elector is unable to provide one of these forms of proof of residence, another City of Madison resident may sign as his or her corroborating witness. The corroborating witness must be eligible to vote in Madison and must be able to provide proof of his or her address.

According to state law, voter registrations can no longer be accepted through the mail, Special Voter Registration Deputies, or Madison Public Libraries until after the September 14 Primary.

Voters may register to vote at the polls with proof of residence or a corroborating witness on Election Day.

To verify voter registration status, check on the status of an absentee ballot request, look up a polling location, or view a sample ballot, visit the Voter Public Access website,


  • Maribeth Witzel-Behl, 608-266-4601