Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 10:59am

With the Spring Primary only ten weeks away, voters born outside of Wisconsin should take action now in order to obtain a Wisconsin ID by Election Day.

The state of New Jersey takes up to ten weeks to issue a certified birth certificate, one of the documents needed to obtain a Wisconsin ID card.

Wisconsin residents may receive a free state ID from the Division of Motor Vehicles if they are eligible to vote and do not have a Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin ID card. The DMV requires the following documentation:
• Proof of name and date of birth (usually a certified birth certificate, but also a certified marriage certificate or judgment of divorce if name changed)
• Proof of identity (usually a Social Security card)
• Proof of Wisconsin residency (usually a utility bill)
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship
• Social Security number

The following items are the only types of ID that will be accepted for voting purposes:
• Wisconsin driver's license expiring no earlier than 11/2/2010
• Wisconsin DOT-issued photo ID card expiring no earlier than 11/2/2010
• U.S. passport expiring no earlier than 11/2/2010
• Military ID card expiring no earlier than 11/2/2010
• Certificate of naturalization issued within last 2 years
• Unexpired Wisconsin driver's license or state ID receipt
• ID card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin
• Unexpired ID issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college-must contain issuance date, student signature, and expiration date within 2 years of issuance, along with proof of current enrollment.

Your ID card does not need to list your current address.

Elections will be held on February 21, April 3, August 14, and November 6 of 2012.

For more information about recent changes to elections law, see www.cityofmadison.com/election.


  • Maribeth Witzel-Behl, 608-266-4601