Get the latest Employee Updates, information on working from home, policies, and data related to COVID-19.
Agenda Posting Deadlines
- All agendas should be created and added to the Meeting Schedule by noon on the Friday before the meeting.
- If the Friday deadline is not met, agendas must be posted at least 48 hours before the meeting, per APM 3-2. Weekends are not included in the 48 hour deadline.
- Call Clerk’s Office if you are adding an agenda at the end of the day or close to 48 hour deadline.
Numbering Agenda Items
The following standards apply to all meeting agendas, including non-Legistar committees:
- All agenda items must be numbered.
- Use whole numbers for each item on the agenda. Do not use letters or decimals.
- Limit each agenda item to one Legistar file. If two agenda items will be taken up together, you may indicate that with an Agenda Note, but each file on the agenda needs to be numbered separately.
- The first item on every agenda should be the Public Comment period. The legislative file type needs to be "Public Comment" and named specific to that meeting date & time.
- When amending an agenda, do not change the numbering of items that were on the initial agenda.
If the meeting is for a Legistar committee, you can use the “Auto-#” function in Legistar to number your agenda items.
Follow the Agenda Legislative Process to publish the agenda to Legistar.
After publishing the approved agenda:
- Create the Cross-Reference List and Agenda Item Description.
- Find your published agenda on Legistar. Copy the agenda URL.
- Meeting Schedule: Add the Agenda and Agenda Item Description to the Meeting Schedule.
- Go to your User Dashboard. Click on “Manage Meetings”.
- Find your meeting, and click “Edit”. Add the Agenda and Agenda Item Description.
- Cross-Reference List: Upload the Cross-Reference List through the Meeting Schedule application, or using the Cross-Reference Upload Tool. You need to be on the City network.
- Outlook (Type 2 only): Open the Outlook Calendar and double-click on the meeting.
- Paste the link to the agenda in the meeting description.
- Click “Send Update” to update the calendar event for all attendees.
The Cross-Reference List is a spreadsheet containing all agenda items available for public comment. It is used on the Registration Report and Meeting Registration form to validate agenda items that members of the public enter.
For each agenda item that is available for public comment, enter the following information into the first page of the Cross-Reference List Template.
- Agenda ID: Agenda item number, starting at 1 (Public Comment), and going up.
- Legistar ID: 4-5 digit numeric ID from Legistar. If the agenda item does not have a Legistar ID, repeat the agenda ID.
- Title: Descriptive title of the Legistar Item. This should match what is in Legistar.
- Upload the Cross-Reference List. You need to be on the City network (in the office, or over VPN). We recommend using Google Chrome.
Agenda Item Description
The Agenda Item Description is an optional short description containing only a few agenda items. It is used on the Meeting Registration form to help the public correctly identify and enter agenda item numbers. You can use this if you have agenda items that you anticipate will be of high public interest.
The descriptions for each agenda item should be at most 3-5 words, and should follow this format:
Short description of item: 2
Another description: 5
Description of last item: 17
The Agenda Item Description is added to the meeting in the Meeting Schedule, and displays below the Agenda Item # field on the Meeting Registration form.
When amending an agenda, do not change the numbering of items that were on the initial agenda. If an agenda needs to be updated, add a header for Late Items, just before Adjournment. As always, the committee can vote to take up items out of order.
After amending the agenda:
- Legistar Committees: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify them the agenda has been updated.
- Non-Legistar Committees: Upload the amended agenda to the Meeting Schedule.
- Update your Cross-Reference List spreadsheet and re-upload the Cross-Reference List through the Meeting Schedule application, or use the Cross-Reference Upload Tool directly.