Todos los permisos para la quema de desechos están suspendidos hasta nuevo aviso
El MFD está suspendiendo todos los permisos para la quema de desechos en la Ciudad de Madison, el Pueblo de Blooming Grove, y la Villa de Shorewood Hi
All Burn Permits Are Suspended Until Further Notice
The MFD is suspending all burn permits in the City of Madison, Town of Blooming Grove, and Village of Shorewood Hills until further notice.
Meet Firefighter Brett Bower
Posted on Wednesday, Mar. 14, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog.
Where are you stationed?
I’m assigned to Station 9 (Midvale Blvd.) on the C shift.
Why did you want to pursue this career?
Being a firefighter checked every box for my dream career, most specifically for being a career that challenges me to be my best every day and do so in a team environment. I have enjoyed the competition involved in team sports and the satisfaction of working cohesively with others toward a common goal since I was young. Being a firefighter and working with your crew demands readiness every day, both by the members of your crew and the members of the community that we serve. That feeling that your crew and the community are relying on you is the ultimate sense of responsibility and is what makes it so enjoyable to ensure I am prepared to serve each day. Not many other careers offer that same sort of satisfaction from the demands of the job.
Why did you want to work in Madison, for the Madison Fire Department?
The city of Madison has been my home since I was born and played a vital role in how I was raised. I went to Madison Lafollette High School on the east side of town, as well as Madison public middle and elementary schools. My grandfather served on MFD for 30+ plus years and inspired me to follow this career path. His integrity and commitment to always putting others' best interests before his own was something I wanted to embrace in my career and life. I do not doubt that his time with MFD played a major role in instilling these characteristics in his personality. Madison, and the Madison Fire Department, take pride in their community and every member of it. The culture and vast array of people taught me how fantastic it is to have a diverse community, how to connect with people and, most importantly, how to have compassion for everyone you meet. I could not think of a better way to repay the community that gave me so much than by giving back to it.
What has been the most rewarding part of your experience so far?
Much of my experience thus far has been in the academy, which was an incredible experience. It echoed every idea I had about the teamwork, commitment and reliability required by this career. The last two weeks of the academy were very rewarding. The most rigorous week of training, followed by graduating and being pinned by my grandfather alongside the other 16 members of Class 6 was surreal. It has been a fantastic start to my career as a City of Madison firefighter, and getting started at the station has been equally rewarding.
Now that you've graduated the Academy, what do you look forward to the most?
Finally working in the stations and in the community is very exciting. It was a lot of hard work to be able to be here now serving the city. Being able to put the training into action has been something I’ve been looking forward to for months. Also, coming to work every day and knowing it will never be the same as the shift prior is exciting. I’m looking forward to the new friendships and continuing to build on the ones I made in the academy. Every person I have met within the department has been incredible and brings something unique to add to the overall depth of the department.
Looking back at the Fire Academy, what was the most challenging element?
Balancing the workload in the academy, physically and mentally, was a challenge. Many nights after working in our gear all day we wanted to crash, but there was still book work and reading to be done. Those few months our minds were focused solely on firefighting, so it was difficult for our family at times, too. Family and friends were an integral part in understanding the workload and commitment needed to get through this part of the process.
What advice would you give to someone hoping to join the MFD?
Tell your story. Explain how it makes you unique and able to enhance the service we provide the community. We all have a story that has made us who we are today, and there’s no better way to describe how you would respond to a scenario than relating it to a similar one you have already succeeded in. It gives your interview questions and scenarios a sincere and positive tone when they are reiterating your personal success stories. The process is designed to find out who each candidate is as a person. Your story, and how you got to where you are, is the best way to depict this picture to the folks interviewing you.
Subscribe to Email List
- Meet Firefighter Dontrell McIntyre
- Meet Firefighter Michael Sepulveda
- Meet Firefighter Allie Feys
- Meet Firefighter Chelsea Utzerath
- Meet Firefighter Heather Seeber
- Meet Firefighter Devin Rogers
- Meet Firefighter Jessie Bowden
- Meet Firefighter Seth Dahmen
- Meet Firefighter Josh Popanz
- Meet Firefighter Ryan Liss
- Meet Firefighter Lexi Wagner
- Meet Firefighter Julie Griessmeyer
- Meet Firefighter Jay Watson
- Meet Recruit Class 8!
- Rick Mulhern, Leader In Technical Rescue and Peer Support, Retires From MFD
- Burn Awareness Week: About UW Hospital's Burn Center
- Burn Awareness Week: Identifying and Treating Burns
- Burn Awareness Week: Sunburn and Frostbite
- Burn Awareness Week: Home Oxygen Safety
- Burn Awareness Week: Preventing Cooking-Related Scalds and Burns
- Meet Firefighter Brennan Boughton
- Meet Firefighter Mike Lothe
- Meet Firefighter Mitch Hanson
- Meet Firefighter Sam Coenen
- Meet Firefighter Marshall Angst
- Meet Firefighter Brandon Courts
- Meet Firefighter Grahm Yahn
- Meet Firefighter Tom Shannon
- Meet Firefighter Joe Parrillo
- Meet Firefighter Ryan Dostalek
- MFD Introduces Recruit Class 7!
- MFD's Community Education Division Teaches Kids To BE AWARE
- LEARN Two Ways Out Of Every Room
- LISTEN For The Sound Of The Smoke Alarm
- LOOK: Fire Hazards May Lurk In Your Home
- First Annual Richard Garner Memorial Ride Raises Over $14,000 For Scholarship Fund
- Meet Lieutenant Zak Smith
- Meet Lieutenant Eric Mills
- We Send Our Condolences To Sun Prairie Today
- Meet Lieutenant Liza Tatar
- Meet Lieutenant David Crossen II
- Four New Lieutenants Assume Position At Area Fire Stations
- National EMS Memorial Bike Ride Pays A Visit To Station 4
- Engine 10 Helps Reunite Mama Duck With Four Stranded Ducklings
- Home Fire Sprinklers: A Small Investment That Could Save Your Life
- New Aerial Platform Ladder Truck Hits The Road On Madison's West Side
- Show Us Your Smarts: Take the Home Fire Sprinkler Quiz!
- Fire Sprinkler Protection: See the Difference!
- Hiding In Plain Sight: Choosing Concealed Fire Sprinklers
- The Truth About Home Fire Sprinklers
- Seconds Matters: How Home Fire Sprinklers Save Lives
- Meet Firefighter Michael Samosky
- Meet Firefighter Nickolas George
- Meet Firefighter Desmond Leidich
- Meet Firefighter Kyle Kampmeier
- Meet Firefighter Jonathan Clinkscale
- Meet Firefighter John Clooten
- Meet Firefighter McKinnan Stamschror
- Meet Firefighter Ryan Raisbeck
- Meet Firefighter Daniel Ramirez
- Meet Firefighter Brett Bower
- Meet Firefighter Bryce Powell
- Meet Firefighter Daniel Congdon
- Meet Firefighter Larry Moen
- Meet Firefighter Charles Campbell
- Meet Firefighter Casey Endres
- Meet Firefighter Benjamin Nevarez
- Recruit Class 6 Reports For Duty
- New Solar Panels Installed At Fire Station 12
- Fire Prevention Week: Fire Prevention Quiz
- Fire Prevention Week: Easy-To-See House Numbers Help Us Find You Faster!
- Fire Prevention Week: Practice Your Escape Plan!
- Fire Prevention Week: How To Make A Home Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Prevention Week: Every Second Counts -- Know 2 Ways Out!
- Now Accepting Firefighter Applications!
- CampHERO for Women Coming Up Saturday!
- A 'Thank You' Note To Our Partners On Stratton Way
- Madison Launches 'PulsePoint Verified Responder' Pilot Program
- Meet Lieutenant Jeffery Vogen
- Meet Lieutenant Chris Hammes
- Meet Lieutenant Wes Ecker
- Meet Lieutenant Chris Carbon
- Meet Lieutenant Linnea Anderson
- Meet Lieutenant Dan Williams
- MFD Introduces Six New Lieutenants!
- Upcoming Community Events!
- ER Docs Dive Into Firefighting During 'Doc Ops Day'
- MFD Lends Helping Hand At Gilbert Brown Football Camp
- Special Delivery: “Beltline Jax” Makes A Grand Entrance
- New Lease On Life: Oregon Man Reconnects With Crew That Helped Save Him
- 235 New Smoke Alarms Move Into Sherman Terrace!
- Captain Todd Steyer Wraps Up A Fulfilling 30-Year Career With MFD
- Calling All Volunteers! CampHERO Kicks Off Its 6th Season
- EMS Q&A: Where can I learn CPR?
- EMS Q&A: Did you know MFD paramedics are also firefighters?
- EMS Q&A: What should I expect after calling for an ambulance?
- EMS Q&A: What’s the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic? How many paramedics are on duty?
- EMS Q&A: Why does a fire truck come when I call for an ambulance?
- Meet Firefighter Maj-Britt Williams
- Meet Firefighter Adam Thimmig
- Meet Firefighter Ruth Savard
- Meet Firefighter Mike Reisman
- Meet Firefighter Trent Meicher
- Meet Firefighter Jonathon McCray
- Meet Firefighter Adam Lesser
- Meet Firefighter Patrick Johnson
- Meet Firefighter Kyle Homan
- Meet Firefighter Joe Gangler
- Meet Firefighter Justin Fehrenbach
- Meet Firefighter Matthew Dykstra
- Meet Firefighter Brandon Douglas
- Meet Firefighter Tamara Dinkel
- Meet Firefighter Marta Darrow
- Meet Firefighter Davy Calkins
- Meet Firefighter Ryan Beckwith
- MFD Introduces 18 New Firefighters!
- A Greener Firehouse: How Fire Station 12 LEEDs the Way
- Meet AE Brad Vogen
- Meet AE Vince Soto
- Meet AE Chad Powell
- Meet AE Daniel Pazurek
- Meet AE Todd Mahoney
- Meet Apparatus Engineer Cole Christenson
- Meet AE Derek Brown
- New Apparatus Engineers Now Serving In Your Neighborhood!
- Dane County EMS Banquet Honors Survivors, Responders Involved In Cardiac Saves
- On This Day In History: The First 911 Call Is Placed In 1968
- PHOTOS: Getting Up Close With The Lake Rescue Team
- Sable Flames "Second Alarm" Benefit Enters Its 24th Year
- Madison's Iranian Community Comes Together To Honor Firefighters
- Building Connections, Inspiring Kids: Engine 12 At Olson Elementary School
- Welcome Home: Cooper's Hawk Returns To Willy Street
- The Results Are In: 91 Donations Collected During the “Never Forget” Blood Drive
- Meet AE Ethan Dade
- Meet AE Wade Raddatz
- Meet AE Lance Radock
- Meet AE Jacob Conner
- Meet AE Dan Smith
- Meet AE Kevin Hembrook
- National Preparedness Month: Special Needs Disaster Planning
- Meet AE Tom Winter
- Meet AE Lori Karst
- MFD Introduces Eight New Apparatus Engineers
- Reflections On This 15th Anniversary Of 9/11
- Generous Grant Brings New "Jaws Of Life" Equipment To Ladder 6
- National Preparedness Month: Creating Communication and Evacuation Plans
- National Preparedness Month: Don't Wait. Communicate.
- Project SOAR and the MFD
- “Doc Ops Day” Gives ER Docs A Taste Of Firefighter Life
- Two Years After Accident, Family And First Responders Celebrate 'A Miracle'
- Madison Fire Aims To Keep Injuries Well Under Par At PGA Championships
- “It’s Been A Great Ride," Says Retiring Driver John Lucille
- A Thank-You Gift For All To Enjoy
- “Friday Nights At the Y” Returns In 2016
- Meet Lt. Lisa Becher
- Meet Lt. Derek Teff
- Meet Lt. Casey Preimesberger
- Resources For Candidates Preparing For the Physical Ability Test
- Meet Lt. Sue Juedes
- Meet Lt. Ted Higgins
- Meet Lt. Matthew Mialik
- Meet Lt. Michael McCartney
- MFD Introduces Seven New Lieutenants
- Inside The Galaxie: Making Madison's Newest High Rise Safer For All
- Edgewood Students Donate Stuffed Animals For Kids Experiencing Trauma
- Apparatus Engineer "Recon Bob" Says Goodbye After 25 Years Of Service
- New Boat Enhances MFD Lake Rescue Capabilities
- With Gratitude, Division Chief Ron Schwenn Bids Farewell To the MFD
- New Training Technology Aims to Offer Full Immersion, Minus the Risks
- In the Midst Of Transitions, Our Crews Don't Miss A Beat
- Finance Manager Rita Johnson Retires After 44 Years With the City
- Farewell to West District Captain Tom Reiter
- Meet Firefighter Caluster Buie
- Meet Firefighter Steven Foulks
- Meet Firefighter Richard Miyagawa
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Balli
- Meet Firefighter Matthew Boyle
- Meet Firefighter Oscar Castillo
- Meet Firefighter David Bartkowiak
- Meet Firefighter Christopher Staveness
- Meet Firefighter Michael Guerten
- Meet Firefighter Marcus Bobholz
- Meet Firefighter Joshua Ramsey
- Meet Firefighter Michael Olson
- Meet Firefighter Eric Popovich
- Meet Firefighter Paul Schecklman
- Meet Firefighter Brian Tremain
- Meet Firefighter Cameron Gasaway
- Meet Firefighter Vaughn Brockel
- Why We Do What We Do: Remembering the Our Lady of the Angels Fire
- Meet Firefighter Brian Bieganski
- Farewell To AASPIRE Intern Casey Tubbs
- Meet Lt. Tim Hagen
- Meet Lt. Jeff Mast
- Meet Lt. Matt Thomas
- Meet Lt. AJ Greenlee
- Meet Lt. Chris Homman
- Join The Team Current News
- MFD Introduces Five New Lieutenants
- Saving Santa at Station 3
- MFD Mailbag: Kudos For the Crew of Engine 7A
- Madison Fire Recruit Class 4 Begins
- MFD Begins Serving Towns of Blooming Grove, Burke Today
- The Madison Fire Department Prepares For Inaugural "Shake the Lake" Event
- The Heavy Urban Rescue Team Practices Life-Saving Skills
- Safety Saturday 2015: A Day In Photos
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Boss Lift
- Firefighter Fun Day 2015 is Saturday, August 8
- Retired Firefighter Tim Healy Inducted Into Madison Sports Hall Of Fame
- Firefighter Ty Stebbins Sworn In
Emergency Medical Services
- 100 Black Men of Madison
- A Day In The Life Of A Madison Firefighter
- Alix Olson Award
- Awards & Recognition
- Battle Of the Badges
- Black History Month
- Burn Awareness Week
- CARE Program
- Central Storage Warehouse fire
- Community Outreach
- Dane County Public Safety Communications
- Emergency Operation Center
- Fire Academy
- Fire Admin Project
- Fire Hydrants
- Fire Investigation Team
- Fire Prevention Division
- fire prevention month
- Fire Prevention Week
- Fire Safety School Tours
- Fire Stations
- Firefighter Fun Day
- Friday Nights at the Y
- Hazmat Team
- Heavy Urban Rescue Team
- Hiring & Promotions
- Home Fire Sprinklers
- Ice Safety
- Join the Team
- Lake Rescue Team
- Madison Fire EMS
- Madison Police
- Meet the MFD
- MFD Behind the Scenes
- MFD Frequently Asked Questions
- MFD Mailbag
- MFD Prevention Division
- National Preparedness Month
- Our Lady Of the Angels
- Peer Support
- Public Health
- Public Safety
- Rural Water Movement
- Sable Flames
- Safety Town
- Shake the Lake
- The American Center
- Town of Blooming Grove
- Town of Burke
- Training & Professional Development
- UW Health
- Veterans Day
- Wanda Fullmore Youth Internship Program
- Winter Safety