Carbon Monoxide Alarm Calls Out Furnace Malfunction
An east-side resident wouldn’t have known there was a carbon monoxide problem brewing in his home if not for his alarm sounding when he stepped inside Tuesday evening. He approached the carbon monoxide alarm and found a reading of 224 parts per million. To make sure the alarm wasn’t on the fritz, he unplugged it and hit the reset button before plugging it back in. When the detector still showed elevated CO levels (43 ppm), he called 911.
As he waited outside, Engine Co. 5 responded and confirmed the presence of carbon monoxide. Firefighters checked to make sure exterior exhaust vents weren’t blocked with snow and took one more look at the furnace and water heater.
MGE also responded. They ultimately determined that the furnace needed repairs and would have to be shut down. The homeowner had another place to stay for the night until the furnace can be repaired.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas and a silent killer. Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms in your home, learn where to place them, and familiarize yourself with common sources of carbon monoxide.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)