Crews Respond To Fire Resulting From Unattended Cooking

Incident Type: 
Cooking
Dispatch: 
Sunday, January 2, 2022 - 1:13pm
Arrival: 
Sunday, January 2, 2022 - 1:14pm
Address: 
1000 block W. Badger Road
Madison, WI
Narrative: 

A fire broke out in a W. Badger Road apartment after occupants say they walked away from the kitchen while cooking. Soon they found smoke and “a lot of fire” that consumed cooking implements and extended into the shelving, backsplash, and cupboards above the stove.

Medic 6 arrived to give an initial size-up report and ensured the stove was turned off. The fire was extinguished upon Ladder Co. 6’s arrival. Firefighters checked for fire extension in the nearby walls.

The stovetop and adjacent areas sustained significant damage, but occupants were not displaced.

Posted 01/03/2022 - 1:04pm
Contacts: 

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)