Crews Respond To Kitchen Fire At Popular East Side Restaurant

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 10:28pm
Arrival
Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 10:32pm
Address
1300 Block Williamson Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

A grease fire broke out at an east side restaurant late Thursday night. Nobody was injured, but restaurant operations were impacted.

Employees at Ha Long Bay on Williamson Street attempted to put out the fire with two types of extinguishers but were unsuccessful.

Medic 3 arrived on scene four minutes after receiving the dispatch. Fire was still active and involved the deep fryer in the kitchen. Firefighters grabbed another dry chemical extinguisher and swiftly knocked down the flames and a subsequent flare-up.

Engine Company 1 unplugged the deep fryer and shut down the gas to the stove. Crews performed overhaul to ensure the fire was completely out and would not ignite again. Engine 4 and Ladder 6 helped ventilate the smoke from the restaurant.

Public Health Madison-Dane County was notified of the fire, and an inspector is expected to follow up at the restaurant Friday morning.

Posted 10/18/2019 - 9:32am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)