Discarded Charcoal Found Burning In West-Side Dumpster

Incident Type
Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 8:59pm
Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 9:09pm
3100 Block Muir Field Rd
Madison, WI

Engine 7 responded to a report of smoke emanating from an outdoor dumpster. Upon removing some of the trash from the dumpster, firefighters discovered a pile of discarded charcoal smoldering inside. Some items found burning inside were removed and doused with water/foam. For good measure, firefighters also saturated the remaining trash inside of the dumpster.
Now that grilling season is well underway, the Madison Fire Department wishes to remind everyone to make sure your charcoal is cold and completely extinguished before discarding it/its ashes, and before storing your grill. Ashes may reignite 48 to 72 hours after use.
Please see our “Grilling Safety Tips” and “Guide to Grilling” for more information.

Posted 06/01/2015 - 4:10pm