Dryer Fire Discovered Wednesday Afternoon Caused Extensive Damage To Southwest-Side Home
A family is displaced and several household pets have died following a dryer fire on the southwest side.
The Madison Fire Department was alerted to a problem when a neighbor called 911 to report black smoke in the home. Engine Co. 9 and Ladder Co. 7 arrived on scene and proceeded into the home. Though the crew did not encounter much smoke upon entry, evidence indicated there’d been a long-burning fire that caused a significant amount of smoke damage and oxygen displacement throughout the home.
Engine 9’s search turned up a dryer fire that was put out by heat or flames impinging on a water pipe above. The water pipe burst and sprayed water on the fire, putting it out. The fire is estimated to have begun hours prior to being discovered.
One cat was found alive. It had been in a room with a closed door, which protected it from the effects of the fire. There was still a high amount of carbon monoxide in the air, however, and the cat was taken to a veterinary clinic for evaluation.
The tenants were not home at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries to firefighters. The damage to the dryer was too extensive for investigators to be able to determine the exact cause of the fire.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)