Firefighters Investigate 'Sparks' Underneath Dishwasher, Find Missing Cat Toy
Ladder Co. 7 was dispatched along with a full structure fire response to a home on Hammersley Road after someone reported seeing sparks under her dishwasher. Firefighters were greeted by the caller, who directed the crew to the kitchen.
There was no smoke or odor of anything burning as Ladder 7 entered the residence. Firefighters took off the footplate at the bottom of the dishwasher to check for electrical hazards. That’s where they found a light-up cat toy. One firefighter grabbed the toy, held it up, and activated it.
“Is this what you saw?” he asked. With a laugh and a bit of embarrassment, the caller confirmed that, yes, this was the same light she saw under the dishwasher. “It was all different colors,” she described.
Ladder 7 had a good laugh with the caller and asked if they could keep the cat toy “since we saved her life.” The owner happily obliged, thanking firefighters for their service.
A flashy new decoration now brightens up the gear lockers at Fire Station 7.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)