Movie Theaters Shut Down Over the Weekend Due To Gas Leak
A natural gas leak forced the temporary shutdown of a pair of theaters at a west side cinema over the weekend.
Ladder Company 2 responded to the Marcus Point Cinema to investigate reports of a gas smell and hissing sound in one of the theaters. Firefighters did not detect any natural gas readings from the outside of the cinema or in the lobby, but they did confirm natural gas readings in the specific theater where the gas smell had been reported, as well as in the theater next door. Each theater was evacuated as the crew worked to identify the source of the leak.
Firefighters identified a faulty gas regulator in the HVAC system contributing to the problem. Gas service to the building was shut down by MGE. Other theaters were allowed to continue operating to finish the movies that were still in progress.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)