Mysterious Fire Inside Condo Complex Result Of Malfunctioning Ceiling Light

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Friday, February 21, 2020 - 1:58pm
Arrival
Friday, February 21, 2020 - 2:02pm
Address
200 Block S. High Point Road
Madison, WI
Narrative

A fire that caused damage to a west side condominium complex was the result of a malfunctioning ceiling light.

A resident had just arrived home and found smoke in the lobby area of the building. He stepped outside and called 911.

When Engine Co. 9 arrived, firefighters searched the building but had trouble locating the source of smoke. The crew eventually found a small fire in a hallway leading to multiple garages. The carpet in the hallway was burning, and firefighters used a pressurized water can to extinguish the fire.

Engine 9 determined a fluorescent light on the ceiling of the hallway had ignited, melted, and dropped onto the carpeted floor below. There were no signs of foul play or suspicious activity.

The fire caused damage to the light fixture and carpeting, as well as smoke damage to the in the hallway. Nobody was injured or displaced from the building as a result of the fire.

Posted 02/24/2020 - 9:49am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)