Natural Gas Leak Prompts Brief Evacuation Of Homes
Homes were evacuated in the area of Copeland Street and Monroe Street after a two-inch natural gas line was severed during construction activities. Firefighters requested the assistance of Madison Police in closing off traffic on Monroe Street. The construction company on scene began evacuating the homes on the block. Ladder Company 2 checked for natural gas inside the evacuated homes. All were clear except for low readings in the home next to the site of the leak. Windows were left open to allow fresh air to flow into the house.
MGE soon arrived on scene and contained the leak. MGE personnel and firefighters checked all nearby homes once again and verified they were clear of natural gas. Residents were allowed to return to their homes, and Monroe Street was reopened, around 10:50 a.m.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)