Smoking Engine Sends Firefighters to Underground Garage

Incident Type
Vehicle
Dispatch
Tuesday, September 3, 2019 - 3:48pm
Arrival
Tuesday, September 3, 2019 - 3:52pm
Address
100 Block N. Livingston Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

The owners of two vehicles parked in an east-side complex were told to have their cars seen by a mechanic after a battery jump attempt went south.

Firefighters responded to Veritas Village on N. Livingston Street in response to a smoking vehicle battery. A light haze of electrical smoke filled the area as both cars rested with the hoods open. Jumper cables were still attached to both batteries, and the insulation from the cables was melted off onto the bumpers of each vehicle.

Firefighters removed the jumper cables and placed them on the ground away from the vehicles. The temperature of the batteries cooled down to room temperature shortly thereafter. No active fire was seen while crews were on scene.

There were no known mechanical problems with the vehicles. One owner said he left his dome light on all weekend, which left them needing a jump from the next car.

Posted 09/04/2019 - 9:17am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)