Space Heater Plugged Into Improper Cord Sparks Small Fire

Incident Type
Electrical
Dispatch
Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 3:51pm
Arrival
Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 3:58pm
Address
6200 Block Countryside Lane
Madison, WI
Narrative

The Madison Fire Department responded to a west side home where a space heater was plugged into an extension cord not rated to handle the electrical load. A small fire broke out, and the owner extinguished it prior to MFD’s arrival. The occupant was reminded not to use extension cords not rated for this type of use. Ideally, space heaters should be plugged directly into a wall outlet.

Posted 03/02/2020 - 11:26am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)