The Supervisor Development Program (SDP) is a cohort model program designed for supervisors at all levels within the City of Madison. Employees will acquire a greater understanding of management knowledge, skills, and abilities to enable them to successfully meet the City mission, vision, values, and service promise within their current roles. The 2020 SDP is grounded in the principles of values-based leadership and racial equity.
Who should attend?
Are you a city of Madison employee and…
- Oversee the work of others
- Hire new employees
- Provide feedback on performance of others
- Onboard new employees
- Make decisions about the time and work of others
- Encourage professional development of others
If you answered yes, please submit an application. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact the SDP Cohort Lead, Carla Garces- Redd at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I expect?
- a cohort model program with up to 25 participants
- learn with and from colleagues from other departments and disciplines
- facilitated session by City staff subject matter experts
- Weekly commitment of 4-8 hours
- 10 weeks/modules categorized into three areas
- Leadership Skills Development
- Supervisor Foundation: HR 101 and the Law
- Job Type Cohort Learning
How can I participate?
- Submit an online application by Thursday, September 10, 2020. Notifications will be sent by Friday, September 18, 2020.
- Commit to weekly online sessions 3-6 horus (Mondays)
- Set aside 1-2 hours weekly for other assignments outside of our online sessions together
What past participants are saying:
“The Supervisor Development Program gave me the opportunity to work with my colleagues across the City. Being able to see the City through the lens of other agencies, encourages more collaboration and streamlining.” -2019 Participant
“The Supervisor Development Program gave a great overview of all areas that supervisors need to be knowledgeable in.” -2019 Participant
“From beginning to end, the information was very useful. It was very refreshing to see and hear staff with a lot of energy. I was able to take a lot of that energy.” -2019 Participant