Blair Street Construction to Move to E. Washington Avenue
(MADISON, Wis.)—To get a head start on 2023 construction, the Blair Street South project will move its focus to the E. Washington Avenue intersection, with all traffic routed onto the inbound lanes of E. Washington Avenue (north side of the median) between Franklin Street and Blair Street beginning tomorrow.
“We’re continuing to make significant progress on this project,” City of Madison City Engineer Jim Wolfe said. “The advanced work we are now doing on E. Washington Avenue is one way we are reducing impacts of the construction. We’re hopeful this brief change in traffic will benefit everyone in the near future.”
This next stage of construction will include work on the sanitary sewer main and replacement of concrete pavement. The traffic switch is expected to last 2-3 weeks and will result in the following changes:
- There will be no parking on E. Washington Avenue between Franklin and Blair Street.
- Vehicles traveling northbound on S. Franklin Street to E. Washington Avenue will only be permitted to make a right turn onto E. Washington Ave.
- Vehicles traveling northbound on S. Blair Street to E. Washington Avenue will only be permitted to make a right turn.
- Traffic will be restricted to two inbound and two outbound lanes on E. Washington Avenue between Blount Street and Hancock Street.
In addition, the bus stop for outbound E. Washington Avenue at Blair Street will be temporarily relocated to the median. Meanwhile, the western crosswalk through the work zone will be maintained at all times, but the route will vary depending on the construction activity.
As always, pedestrians should use caution as they are guided through the work zone.
The entire project is slated to be completed by the fall of 2023.
For more information about the project, please visit the project page on the City of Madison website: https://www.cityofmadison.com/engineering/projects/blair-street-south.
- Media requests: Hannah Mohelnitzky, Engineering Division Public Information Officer , email@example.com