It Takes A Village Returns to Penn Park on June 30
MADISON, WI -- The “It Takes A Village'' Community Resource Fair focuses on bringing the community together in a fun environment to learn about services available on the south side of Madison. Stop by Penn Park between 12-5PM on Thursday, June 30 for free food, music and lots of activities for kids and families! Attendees can meet their neighbors, engage with public servants, and have some fun in their neighborhood park.
THIS EVENT WILL INCLUDE A MOBILE COVID-19 VACCINE CLINIC for ages 12+ with vaccine and booster options. Ages 12-17 must have parental approval to participate (this can be given over the phone).
“The goal is to provide information for local families about community services available in their neighborhood, as well as connecting youth and adults with public servants in a low-stress, pressure-less environment,” said Goodman South Madison Teen Librarian Will Glenn, Sr. “It Takes A Village 2 will be bigger and better this year due to a collaboration with the City of Madison’s Parks Alive! initiative. The addition of more community organizations, like the Madison Children’s Museum, MAYDM, the MSCR and MMoCA Art Cart and more will really take things to the next level for attendees.”
Kids can interact with Madison Police officers who will be bringing squad cars and the mounted horse unit. Bubbler artists will be at the event to offer creative activities for youth and adults throughout. See a full list of participating organizations and activities below:
- 12-3PM: MAYDM
- STEM Activities
- 1-2PM: Storytime with multiple storytellers (Bilingual)
- 1-4PM: MSCR and MMoCA Art Cart
- 2-3:30PM: Facepainting
- 2:30-4:30PM: Dream Bus
- 3:30-5PM: Photo Booth
Throughout the event:
- Curt's Popcorn and Kona Ice
- Food Trucks
- DJ Martinez White
- Madison Police Department
- Madison Reading Project (free books while supplies last)
- Voter registration with Madison Clerk's Office
- Junk Food Olympics
- Madison Children’s Museum Roadshow
- Science Ambassadors from Edgewood College (liquid nitrogen ice cream in the concession stand)
- Tabling from local organizations, including FYCE, Madison College, Neighborhood House, Operation Fresh Start, One City Schools, The Rose Project, South Metropolitan Planning Council, South Madison Reinvestment Strategy for Equity, Urban Triage, WORT FM, and more!
Following the event, stay for a Madison Parks Sina Davis Movie in the Park! A showing of Jungle Cruise begins at 5 p.m. in Penn Park.
RAIN INFO: In the case of inclement weather, the event will be canceled and will take place on Thursday, July 7. This event is made possible thanks to the partnership efforts of the City of Madison, WORT FM, Madison Reading Project, and Madison Police Department.
More It Takes A Village
It Takes A Village 2 is a Parks Alive! event. Additional It Takes A Village: Parks Alive! events will take place throughout the summer. Each event will include free food, music and entertainment for kids, families and individuals. Lineup:
Learn more about these events online at madpl.org/village.
About Madison Public Library
Madison Public Library’s tradition of promoting education, literacy and community involvement has enriched the City of Madison for more than 145 years. Visit the library online at www.madisonpubliclibrary.org, @madisonpubliclibrary on Facebook, @madisonlibrary on Twitter, or @madisonpubliclibrary on Instagram.
- Liz Boyd, 608-243-0571, firstname.lastname@example.org