View information about changes to on-street parking restrictions, permit applications, and other services.
Public Hearing on Proposal for Special Event Parking and State Street Capitol Garage-Lower Level Parking Rate Modifications
Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 2:09pm
The Madison Transit and Parking Commission (TPC) will hold a public hearing on a proposal to modify the special event parking rates at Parking Utility operated garages and implement an incremental hourly rate in the gated section of the State Street Capitol Garage’s lower-level. The hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, September 14th, 2016, at 6:00 PM in Room 201 (Council Chambers) of the City-County Building, 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The public hearing is part of the Transit and Parking Commission’s regularly scheduled meeting that begins at 5:00 PM.
People are encouraged to come and publicly comment on the staff proposal. Some key elements of the proposal are:
- Implementing a three-tiered special event parking rate schedule. Pay-on-entry special event rates at Brayton Lot and all Parking Utility garages, except State Street Campus, would be $8 (tier I) or $10 (tier II). The pay-on-entry special event rate at State Street Campus Garage would be $10 (tier II) or $15 (tier III).
- The gated section of the State Street Capitol Garage Lower-Level is proposed to be $1 per ½ hour for the first two hours, $3 per ½ hour thereafter, with a daily maximum of $30. The purpose of the proposed rate is to encourage turnover and increase availability of short-term parking at this location.
- The special event parking rate change at State Street Campus Garage is proposed to go into effect November 1, 2016. The effective date for special event parking rate changes at other facilities is proposed to go into effect at a later date – anticipated to occur in summer 2017, in conjunction with a separate proposal related to extending on-street meter enforcement hours; this separate proposal will be introduced to TPC at a future meeting, and is not being considered with this proposal and public hearing.
- The hourly rate change at the State Street Capitol Garage Lower-Level is proposed to be effective upon installation of a pay-on-foot machine in the lower-level of the garage.
Additional information and background on the proposal are described in the August 10th letter to TPC members , which can also be found on the City’s website at: http://www.cityofmadison.com/parking-utility.
Each speaker will be allowed a maximum of five minutes to present comments at the public hearing. If you cannot attend the September 14th public hearing and wish to submit written comments to the Transit and Parking Commission and City staff, please mail them to: Madison Parking Utility, P.O. Box 2986, Madison, WI 53701-2986 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 PM on Tuesday, September 13, 2016.
- Sabrina Tolley, 608-266-4761