The State of Wisconsin passed the 2011 Wisconsin Act 35, which is the concealed carry law that went into effect on November 1, 2011. While this law changed gun regulations in the State of Wisconsin, there are still restrictions on allowing concealed weapons in City of Madison-owned, occupied and controlled buildings.
- Concealed Carry Law, Department of Justice, State of Wisconsin.
- When does the law go into effect?
The state law goes into effect on November 1, 2011.
- What is a weapon?
Under state law means a handgun, an electric weapon, a knife or a billy club.
- Does my concealed carry weapon license permit me to carry anywhere in the City?
No, you may not carry any weapon, whether or not you have a license, into any building that has been posted "no weapons permitted."
- Can I carry a weapon in my vehicle?
Yes, weapons may be transported in vehicles.
City of Madison & Other Government Entities Concealed Weapons FAQs
- Can I carry a weapon into any City Building?
No, weapons are prohibited in all City buildings, including all park shelters and restrooms. Weapons are also prohibited at all Metro transfer points and bus shelters.
- Can I carry a weapon into the City-County Building?
No, weapons are banned in all City and County owned and operated buildings.
- Can I carry a weapon on a Madison Metro Bus?
- Can I carry a weapon onto school property?
- Can a City employee carry a weapon while working?
No, City employees are prohibited from carrying weapons while working or in a City owned vehicle. Employees, if licensed, may carry a weapon while in their own personal vehicle.
Private Property Concealed Weapons FAQs
- Can I carry a weapon onto private property?
Yes, unless it is posted that weapons are prohibited.
- Can I carry a weapon into a restaurant or tavern?
This will depend on the individual restaurant or tavern owner. They may post that weapons are prohibited.
- Can I carry a weapon into a mall?
This will depend on the individual mall owner. They may post that weapons are prohibited.
- I'm a property owner, what do I need to do to prohibit someone from carrying a weapon on my property?
If it is a single family residence you must either post your property or verbally tell anyone to not carry a weapon onto the property.
If the property is a multi-family residence the individual residence may be posted. The property owner may post that weapons are prohibited in the common areas.
- Does the City have a sign available for purchase?
Yes, cost is $5 dollars a sign. There are different types of signs. Both are 5" x 7" and printed on self-adhesive, vinyl stock. One is designed to be applied to the exterior door surface; the other is printed to allow for interior application to glass, and readable from the exterior (reverse image).
- What are the requirements of the sign?
The sign must be at least 5 inches by 7 inches and indicate that weapons are prohibited on the property. Signs must be posted near all entrances to the building where the restriction applies.