Your Lease | Sales & Rentals | Mortgage Lending | Retaliation Protection | More Information
The City of Madison has an interest and investment in housing. Fair housing laws protect your rights when renting or purchasing housing.It is illegal for anyone to threaten, coerce, intimidate, or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right . It is also illegal to discriminate in advertising housing or real estate.
Sales & Rentals
In the sale and rental of housing, it is illegal to:
- refuse to rent, sell, or negotiate for housing.
- persuade owners to sell or rent for profit.
- deny access to (or membership in) a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.
- refuse to allow reasonable modifications to accommodate a disability.
- say that housing is not available for inspection, sale, or rental when it is.
In mortgage lending, it is illegal to:
- refuse to make a loan or provide information about loans.
- impose different terms and conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points or fees.
- discriminate in property appraisal.
More housing discrimination information
Property owners legally cannot evict you, or threaten to do so, if you complain of a code violation. That would be a violation of MGO 32.15. It would also violate Statute 704.45 and ATCP 134.09(5).
A property owner may evict you if you are breaking a rule that is in your lease or if you're behind on rent. However, they would have to prove that the eviction is not retaliatory.
To report retaliation, fill out this form. Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also mail the form to P.O. Box 2984 Madison, WI 53701-2984. See here for a print version of the form. More information on Retaliation.