The City of Madison has an interest and investment in housing. Fair housing laws protect your rights when renting or purchasing housing.
It is illegal for anyone to threaten, coerce, intimidate, or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right . It is also illegal to discriminate in advertising housing or real estate.
Sales & Rentals
In the sale and rental of housing, it is illegal to:
- refuse to rent, sell, or negotiate for housing
- persuade owners to sell or rent for profit.
- deny access to (or membership in) a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.
- refuse to allow reasonable modifications to accommodate a disability.
- say that housing is not available for inspection, sale, or rental when it is.
In mortgage lending, it is illegal to:
- refuse to make a loan or provide information about loans
- impose different terms and conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points or fees
- discriminate in property appraisal.
If you are experiencing housing discrimination please click here: https://www.cityofmadison.com/civil-rights/find-help