Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
Let's Talk Streets, Listening Session, LENA - D15 Update 6/14/21
In the news
- Utility Asks for Wise Use of Outdoor Water
- City to Present, Gather Input About Alternative Crisis Response Team
- Engineering Charges Up New Electric Fire Engine
- Dane Dances! Announces 2021 Concert Season Band Line Up
- In-Person Programs Start This Weekend for Madison Public Library's "We Read" Program
- Local Health Organizations Seeking Community Feedback
- Madison Commons, Media Digest
LENA monthly meeting - in person!
First Lake Edge Neighborhood Association in person gathering in a LONG time: Monday evening, 6/14, 6:30pm, Lake Edge Park. We'll discuss the renovations at Monona Grove High School & anything else folks have on their minds. It will just be nice to see everyone--and your kids can play on the swings! In celebration the Association is providing cookies & lemonade. We should also make picnic plans--and answer questions about the garage sale next weekend!
Dye test in Starkweather Creek
A dye test in Starkweather Creek is scheduled to take place on Monday, June 14th. The dye test is being conducted as part of investigation and remedial actions being taken for PFAS in Starkweather Creek. The purpose of the test is to determine proper sampling locations along the creek in preparation for interim remedial actions that will be taken at the airport. A red dye will be placed in Starkweather Creek inside the airport property and then observations will be made along the creek path to determine when the dye has been assimilated. The plan is to place the dye in the creek in the late afternoon/early evening. It is expected that the dye will be fully assimilated within a few hundred yards south of the airport. However, a residual red color may remain in the water (with diminishing visibility) along the entire path of the creek until it enters Lake Monona. The consultant conducting the dye test, Mead & Hunt, will be obtaining a Low Impact Discharge permit from the Department prior to the test. Their staff will be present along the creek to make these observations. The test has been approved by the DNR through a permit and the red dye is safe to the fish, benthic organisms, people, and other things that may be in the creek.
After several very lengthy meetings with contentious debate, this week's Common Council meeting looks to be relatively straight forward. Among those items to be considered is my appointment to the Sustainable Madison Committee as the Board of Public Works crossover member. I'm excited to join SMC to work towards the sustainability goals that are so important to District 15 residents. You can find a link to the full Common Council agenda here.
Let's Talk Streets
Join in a conversation about the future of our city streets this week Tuesday or Wednesday. The City of Madison wants to know what you think about the streets you use to work, live and play in the City of Madison. What do you value about our city streets, what worries you, and what type of street user are you? Also, going forward, how can the City best design streets around people?
The purpose of Let's Talk Streets is to learn from each other about how we design streets for the future in Madison. It's a conversation with YOU that seeks to gather public input to influence several different street-related initiatives while ensuring you know what we mean when we "talk streets" and we learn from you what is important about how you talk streets. Find more details and a link to register for the discussions here.
Senator Agard listening session
State Senator Melissa Agard will hold a Listening Session on Tuesday from 4:30-6:00pm at the Biergarten at Olbrich Park. The Eastmorland Community Association will also be hosting their Save the Ash fundraiser at the biergarten that same evening.
Eastmorland & Lake Edge garage sale
June 18–19 - various locations throughout the neighborhood. Sign up here to participate in the shared Eastmorland and Lake Edge Neighborhood Garage Sale. You can find locations at the ELENA Garage Sale map
Juneteenth Freedom Fest!
Meet us at Leopold Park on Saturday, June 19th from 1-5pm for FAMILY, FUN & FOOD!
*Come as you are. All food, raffles, services, and activities are completely FREE*
More details here.
Other city meetings
There are a number of city meetings not highlighted in this update. You can find a full schedule of city meetings here.
Save the date
- Make Music Madison - June 21 - More info at https://www.makemusicmadison.org/
- City Fleet Building Open House - June 22 3:30-8:00 pm - You're Invited: City Fleet Building Ribbon Cutting, Open House
- ECA Picnic in the Park - 5pm June 24 - Ontario Park - https://fb.me/e/HqLF7VoN
- Pinney Library Book Sale - June 26, 12:30-4:30 - Pinney Atrium
- Eastmorland Little Free Library Tour - June 25–27 - Eastmorland has 20 (or more?) Little Free Libraries. Can you find them all? Stroll the neighborhood on this self-guided tour and stock up on summer reads.
- ECA Picnic in the Park - 5pm July 15
- ECA Picnic in the Park - 5pm July 29
- Lake Edge Neighborhood Picnic - August 8
- Eastmorland Farmers/Makers Market (learn more and fill out a vendor interest form here) - August 19 at Lansing Food Forest (time TBA)
- ECA Picnic in the Park - 5pm August 26
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email to a friend