Understanding Flood Insurance
Homeowners can purchase flood insurance that will cover many types of flooding even if they are not in a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) floodplain.
Types of Flood Insurance
- FEMA floodplain insurance (National Flood Insurance Program, NFIP)
- Private insurance
- Sump pump insurance
- Sanitary back up insurance
- Sanitary Sewer Service Line Coverage Options
- Covers the pipe connecting home to sanitary sewer. This is done by private firms and protects homeowners if their pipe fails. *This does not cover flooding, but covers the fixing the pipe that could fail to cause sanitary sewer flooding.
Do your Homework before calling Insurance Agents
- Read FEMA Flood Smart Document
- Learn about your home. These factors impact what type of insurance is correct for you:
- Sump pump
- Walk out basement
- Finished basement
- Neighbors with groundwater seepage
- History of flooding
- Talk with multiple private insurance companies. Some are better versed on flood insurance than others.