Supervisor Development Program
The Supervisor Development Program (SDP) is a cohort model program designed for supervisors at all levels within the City of Madison. Employees will acquire a greater understanding of management knowledge, skills, and abilities to enable them to successfully meet the City mission, vision, values, and service promise within their current roles. The 2021 SDP is grounded in the principles of values-based leadership and racial equity.
Who should attend?
Are you a City of Madison employee and…
- Oversee the work of others
- Hire new employees
- Provide feedback on performance of others
- Onboard new employees
- Make decisions about the time and work of others
- Encourage professional development of others
If you answered yes, please submit an application. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact the SDP Cohort Lead, Carla Garces- Redd at email@example.com.
What should I expect?
- a cohort model program with up to 30 participants
- learn with and from colleagues from other departments and disciplines
- facilitated session by City staff subject matter experts
- Weekly commitment of 4-8 hours
- 10 weeks/modules focused on
- Supervisor Foundations: HR, the Law and doing things right
- Leadership Skills Development: Explore WHY leadership matters and doing the right thing
How can I participate?
- Submit an online application. Applications for the 2021 cohort will be posted in late Spring 2021. Please add your name to the interest list to receive program notifications.
- Commit to weekly online sessions 3-6 hours
- Set aside 1-2 hours weekly for other assignments outside of our online sessions together
What past participants are saying:
“It allowed me to focus on my leadership and to gain new skills. I feel more aligned with the City and my agency in terms of mission, values, and service promise. I feel like I am better prepared and have more confidence to utilize my skills, especially those that are new acquired. Being a part of a cohort was great for shared visioning and networking.” -2020 Participant
“This opportunity broadened my understanding and provided tools for me, that I could utilize as a supervisor to lead my team in a more meaningful, organized and aligned to the City's goals.” -2020 Participant
"I feel like I have a lot of information to use in the future with my team, I feel more prepared for my position and leading a successful team." -2020 Participant