Changing Court Dates

If you want to change your court date because of circumstances beyond your control, you or your attorney must request a change before your court date.

You can request a change to your court date one of the following ways:

  1. By Mail:
    Madison Municipal Court
    City-County Building
    210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 203
    Madison, WI 53703
  2. By Email: Municipal Court
  3. By Fax: (608) 266-5930
  4. By Telephone: (608) 264-9282

If this is your second request or if it is a trial or motion hearing date, the request must be made in writing to the Municipal Court setting forth the specific reasons for the request. If the request to change a court date (other than a trial or motion hearing date) is received by the court before your originally scheduled court date you do not have to appear on that court date. The court will notify you by mail, email or telephone of the new court date. However if this is your second change request or if it is a request to change a trial or motion hearing date than you must appear on the originally scheduled date unless you hear otherwise from the court before that date. If you fail to appear on your court date or trial date a default judgment will be entered against you, and, depending upon the type of charge, the judge may order a suspension or revocation of your driver's license, a suspension of your vehicle registration, referral to a collection agency, an interception of your tax refund, or issue a warrant for your arrest.