Alder Regina Vidaver
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Vidaver’s Updates
VOTE August 9, West High and University Ave construction impacts, events and announcements
Tuesday August 9 is voting day! Please check myvote.wi.gov to ensure you know your polling place if you have not already voted absentee. A number of residents were not aware that polling locations have changed.
Traffic changes near West High
With the construction at West High ongoing, and the start of the school year approaching, Traffic Engineering will be making some temporary changes to parking and traffic restrictions in the area surrounding West High:
- Restrict traffic from turning from Highland Ave to Van Hise Ave from 2pm to 4pm on school days
- Add a stop sign on Chestnut St at Van Hise Ave
- Add "no left turn" restriction for southbound Chestnut St traffic to eastbound Van Hise Ave from 2pm to 4pm on school days
- Add stop signs on Ash St at Van Hise Ave for both of the offset intersections
- Add "no left turn" restriction for southbound Ash St traffic to eastbound Van Hise Ave from 2pm to 4pm on school days
- Observe traffic for first week of school to determine whether "no right turn" signage is needed for northbound Ash St traffic turning into Van Hise Ave
- Add stop signs on Allen St at Van Hise Ave to convert the intersection to all-way stop control
- Restrict on-street parking on Van Hise Ave from 2pm to 4pm on school days
- Add signage on the west side of Ash St for parent drop off and pick up activities
- Introduce parking restrictions on a small area of Ash St near Regent St for bus operation from 2pm to 4pm on school days
- Start afternoon parking restriction on the west side of Allen St between Van Hise and Chadbourne at 2pm instead of at 4pm
- Introduce additional no parking areas at the northeast and southeast corners of the Allen-Van Hise intersection
These changes will allow school bus drop off and pick up on Van Hise Ave in front of the school from Highland Ave to Ash St. All these changes are planned to be temporary until normal school bus operation can resume. If some of these changes are popular with residents, we can explore opportunities to make those permanent.
The first street closures for the University Avenue reconstruction project are quickly approaching:
- Marshall Court will be closed the week of August 15 for railroad track replacement
- University Bay Drive will be closed the following week, also for railroad track replacement
Please be advised that both vehicle AND pedestrian traffic will be restricted across these intersections. Detour signs will be prominent.
Gun buyback program
The Dane County Sheriff and Madison Police Department are holding a Gift cards for Guns event on Saturday August 13 at the Alliant Energy Center.
- Parks Alive is a collaborative effort across multiple City departments and involves many community-based stakeholders and mobile resources. Upcoming events include:
- Tuesday, August 9th 4:30pm-7:30pm Parks Alive ~ Darbo/Worthington Park MSCR Art Cart, MPL, Bubbler--woodcut collage, book give away, Mentoring Positives food cart, Darbo Peace Walk at 6pm
- Wednesday, Aug 10 4:30pm-9:30pm @Warner Park (Trailsway) Parks Alive ~ Increase the Peace | Movies with Madison Parks - The Lorax MSCR Art Cart from 5-7:30pm, movie at 7pm
- Thursday, August 11th 1:00pm-4:00pm @ Penn Park - Parks Alive ~ It Takes a Village Food carts, Fit2Go, Movie at 3:00 pm
- Madison Public Library Is Hosting Storytelling Events for Kids from August 8th to August 20th across different libraries. The Madison Public Library We Read program is offering a chance to share stories in a unique way. For two weeks, each library will have workshops and/or self-directed activities for kids and families to enjoy.
- Neighbors for Community Safety--a safety and violence prevention event at Warner Park Community Center (1625 Northport Dr) will be held Thursday August 11th from 5-7pm. There will be a panel discussion about gun and community safety issues, resource tables (including Narcan training, gun locks, suicide prevention resources, and more), and lots of info on violence prevention and intervention strategies.
- 100 Black Men of Madison 27th Annual Back to School Celebration - Saturday August 13th, 8am-11am, Goodman South Campus of Madison College (2429 S Perry St) - All Dane County elementary and middle school students of limited income families and their parents are invited to participate in this drive-thru event. Elementary and middle school students accompanied by their parents will receive a new backpack full of school supplies until materials are exhausted. Questions? https://www.100blackmenmadison.org/contact or call 608-205-8572
- Dane Dances! is a family friendly event on the stunning Monona Terrace rooftop EVERY FRIDAY EVENING IN AUGUST. The much-anticipated summer music series is a great way to get down and dance with your friends, coworkers, or family. Dane Dances! promotes inclusivity with a fun night of music and dancing to music and bands for all ages.
- Last week the Madison Police Department was recognized nationally for the number of females who are recruited and stay with the department. NPR sent a reporter and photographer to Madison to get to know MPD staff and the good work they do in our community.
- MPD 2022 Summer Strategic Plan: The Madison Police Department has been focused on reducing shots fired calls, stolen auto incidents and hazardous driving.
- Be a Volunteer Fall Food Cart Reviewer! The annual Food Cart Review will run September 12 - October 8, 2022, and you can apply to be one of the reviewers! This review will determine which food carts will be allowed to vend in Downtown Madison from April 15, 2023 - April 14, 2024. Application deadline is Friday, August 19 at 4pm.
- Reminder: New Trash/Recycling Schedule Started Monday, August 1, 2022 - Due to the Town of Madison attachment, some folks (especially on the west side) may have new trash pickup days or a change in their recycling pickup. Y
- Take Destination Madison's survey to help guide their strategic plan for the future. Deadline is this Friday, August 12.
- Monkeypox Vaccine Clinic: Public Health Madison Dane County is opening a monkeypox vaccination clinic. The clinic will be open with limited hours on weekdays, by appointment only. Monkeypox does not spread easily from person to person, and the virus is spreading mostly through close, intimate contact with someone who has monkeypox.
- Are you behind on your rent? You may be eligible for rental assistance. Visit the Community Action Coalition of Southcentral WI Dane CORE webpage.
- The City of Madison Community Development Division (CDD) is seeking to improve and expand housing choices available to residents in Madison by supporting proposals from qualified developers and service providers. All applicants are encouraged to attend a workshop offered on August 11, 2022.
- Free HUD-approved homebuyer education class/Taller gratis aprobada por HUD para compradores de casa. Are you looking to learn more about what it takes to buy your home? Please join this HUD-Approved and Free Homebuyer Education class from 5-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, August 18th and 25th at Fitchburg Public Library's Conference Room, 5530 Lacy Rd, Fitchburg WI 53711! Spanish interpretation will be available for the August classes! Our first time home buying workshops go over everything you need to know about buying your first home including how to find the right home, down payments, and securing a mortgage! Certificate of Completion included!
Register by August 15.
Email to a friend