What We Look For
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- High school graduate or possess a GED high school equivalency diploma.
- Possess a current driver's license and be eligible for a Wisconsin driver's license.
- Meet occupational health standard.
- No felony convictions (unless pardoned by the Governor of the State).
- Domestic violence convictions are automatic disqualifiers.
- No conviction record or pending charge which substantially relates to the work of Police Officer.
- Any new officer that does not possess a two-year associate degree or sixty (60) credits from an accredited college must meet this standard within five (5) years.
Qualities Desirable in a Police Officer
The Department wants to attract and maintain men and women who reflect the diversity of our community. Did you know that we have hired social workers, teachers, artists, linguists, accountants and lawyers? We are by no means a "one size fits all" employer. We value the diversity of all academic, work, and life experience.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Average age is 22-45, but we have no upper age limit
We need individuals who can enforce the law while protecting the constitutional rights of all. The Madison Police Department seeks committed individuals who want to work with a diverse population in improving our quality of life.