I hope this finds you all well and staying warm.
First of all, I want to thank you all for your commitment to safety. After I wrote last time about the spike in vehicle thefts and burglaries in the west district, you all responded by being diligent about locking up your stuff. Our thefts fell significantly over that time and that is largely because of your commitment to checking your property, then re-checking it, and on occasion, just being neighborly. Thank you! Let's keep it up, keep those vehicles locked and those garage doors closed.
Second of all, 'tis the Season of Giving (voluntarily, that is)!
I'm celebrating my first holiday season as the West District captain and am having a joyous time! I want to use this space to highlight three very important supply/toy drives currently happening that benefit our city's youth and their families!
Toy Drive #1: The Anana Cheer Drive. Milele Chikasa Anana Elementary School is looking for donations of both holiday gifts and food items. The wish list and how to donate is posted on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MMSDAnana
Toy Drive #2: The Elver Park and Theresa Terrace Neighborhood Center Drive. Check out this link for info on how to donate: https://www.wisconsinyouthcompany.org/donate-to-4th-annual-holiday-toy-drive/
Supply Drive #3: The Meadowood Neighborhood Center supply drive. They are in need of:
- Baby Products: Diapers, wipes, formula, diaper rash creams, baby lotions.
- Cleaning Supplies: Dish soap, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, disinfecting sprays/wipes, and toilet bowl cleaner, bleach.
- Household Paper Products: Toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissues.
- Personal Hygiene: Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, tampons, sanitary napkins/pads, beard trimmers, natural hair care products, denture cream, adult incontinence diapers.
- Gift Cards to nearby neighborhood stores: Walgreens, Hy-Vee, Woodman's, Target, Aldi, Pick 'n Save, Gas Stations.
Finally, one of the fun things our officers get to participate in during the holiday season is the iHeart radio toy drive which took place on December 2. The generosity of others, citizens just like you, once again overwhelms me. I attached a picture of just some of the gifts our local youth will be receiving this holiday season due to that kindness.
To close out, I believe you get what you give. Your generosity and kindness matters to others and I can only hope that is returned to you in this holiday season and beyond. Take care, stay safe, and lock your doors.