When your construction or demolition requires materials or machinery to be on or over streets, sidewalks, alleys or public grounds a Street Occupancy permit is necessary. This ensures the welfare and safety of the users of adjacent properties (City Ordinance 29.10).

  • Permit applications must be submitted 48 hours in advance of any street occupancy or street closures (this process may take longer if needed).
  • The maximum number of days a permit can be issued for is 90 days.

Process Overview

  1. Start Permit Process

    Discuss your site and building plans with the Inspection staff when you apply for a construction or demolition permit. Start the process for a Street Occupancy Permit the same time you apply for the other permits.

    Where to Go

    Traffic Engineering
    215 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
    Suite 109

    Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

    Phone: (608) 266-4761

  2. Obtain Certificate of Insurance

    Obtain a copy of the City of Madison Certificate of Insurance. Your insurance agent can place the mandatory coverage for the permit and complete the insurance certificate. Return this information to the Risk Manager for review and approval.

    Where to Go

    Finance Department
    City-County Building

    210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 406
    Madison, WI 53703

    Phone: (608) 266-5965

  3. Apply for Permit

    Obtain the Street Occupancy Permit application from Traffic Engineering. Turn in the completed application form at the same counter.

    Fill out the top portion of the permit and draw a sketch of the location and the obstruction (a separate drawing may be attached if needed). The “Special Requirement for Occupancy” area is for office use; you are not required to fill this out.

    Traffic Engineering staff will review the application. A traffic control plan may be requested from the applicant if necessary.

  4. Pay Fees

    Traffic Engineering staff calculate the fee. They will issue the permit after you pay the fee. If meter bags or “No Parking Anytime” signs are needed, the applicant will need to get these from Traffic Engineering’s front counter.

  5. Completion

    Construction can proceed once the appropriate barriers are erected.

Related Forms & Handouts