Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
Madison Water Utility has upgraded customer water meters to a wireless technology (AMI) network that reads and transmits water consumption on a daily basis. So far, more than 63,400 new metering systems have been installed in homes and businesses across Madison. There is no installation charge or fee for having the new metering system.
Benefits of the AMI metering system:
- Customers can track their day-to-day water use online.
- Eliminates the need for a water meter reader to visit your premises.
- Eliminates the monthly non-standard meter charge.
- Provides an energy efficient, accurate, and cost effective way for MWU to read water meters.
- Helps the utility operate our entire system more efficiently with accurate consumption data.
Making Your Appointment
If your home does not have a new meter, you can schedule an installation by calling our meter shop at (608) 266-4765 or send an email. In your email, please include your name, address, and phone number. Installations will be by appointment. In most cases, installations should take no longer than 60 minutes. An adult resident at least 18 years old must be present. Employees involved with the project will be identified by photo IDs, and will arrive in Madison Water Utility work vehicles.
The new system uses low-level radio frequencies to transmit meter readings. While a report from Public Health Madison Dane County found little evidence to support health concerns about the system, some customers may choose not to have a transmitter inside their home. MWU's opt-out policy offers two options: (1) have the transmitter installed on the outside of the building, or (2) not have it installed on the property at all.