Johnson St, East
Last Updated: 01/17/2020
The project is complete and open to traffic.
The contractor has a few finishing touches in the spring of 2020 which includes stamped colored concrete along N. First Street at Mifflin Street, Yahara River bridge block repairs, Thornton Avenue cul-de-sac final paving and bicycle and pedestrian pavement marking. All of the finishing touches will be complete under live traffic with short-term single lanes closures.
General Project Information
- Full reconstruction from Baldwin St to just east of First St (STH 113).
- New infrastructure facilities to be installed: storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water main, lighting, traffic signals.
- New asphalt pavement on East Johnson, except new concrete pavement at Yahara River bridge and on First Street
- Widening of First St to provide two southbound lanes to East Washington Avenue and dual left-turn and right-turn lanes at East Johnson Street intersection.
- Due to the 2018 flooding that impacted East Johnson Street, the roadway will be raised between Dickinson St and the Yahara River to reduce the potential for future roadway flooding and closures.
- Pedestrian facilities:
- Existing sidewalk spot replacements as needed
- New 10-foot wide multi-use path, 1-foot wide buffer, and 5-foot wide sidewalk constructed along south side of East Johnson St from Yahara River through North First St.
Bike and Pedestrian Routing Plans
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Phase 1B
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Phase 2
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Phase 2A and 2B
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Stage 3 Phase 1
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan - Stage 3 Phase 1.5
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan - Stage 4
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan - Underpass Closure
Overall Completion Date: November 23, 2019.
E. Johnson St. from Baldwin St. to First St.
Design 2015 – 2018
Construction April 1, 2019 – late-November 2019
During construction, both East Johnson Street and First Street (STH 113) will be constructed in multiple stages to maintain at least one lane of traffic in each direction. Short term closures of E Johnson Street and Fordem Avenue will be required during construction and directional detours will be utilized.
Pedestrians will be accommodated throughout construction. One side of the street will remain open to pedestrians at all times. Intersections will be staged so that at least one crosswalk is provided across each street at the intersections of Fordem Avenue and First Street (STH 113).
The City will remove the concrete pavement and replace with asphalt pavement and new gravel base. The curb and gutter will be replaced on both sides of the street for the entire length of the project.
As part of the reconstruction bus stop and pedestrian and bicycle crossing improvements will be made. Existing sidewalk will be spot replaced as needed and new 10-foot wide multi-use path, 1-foot-wide buffer and 5-foot-wide sidewalk will be constructed along the south side of East Johnson Street from the Yahara River through North First Street (STH 113).
The proposed project also includes widening of North First Street (STH 113) between East Johnson Street and East Mifflin Street to provide two southbound lanes to East Washington Avenue and to provide dual left- and right-turn lanes at the East Johnson Street intersection. Driveway aprons will be replaced to match the existing driveway width at the back of the sidewalk.
The project also includes the replacement of sanitary sewer, water main, storm sewer inlets, street lighting, pavement marking, and signs.
In addition, because of the 2018 flooding that impacted E. Johnson Street, the roadway will be raised between Dickinson Street and the Yahara River to reduce the potential for future roadway flooding/closures.
An overall plan of the project can be found here: Overall Plan
Public Information Meetings
A public information meeting was held on Thursday, April 4, 2019 at Lapham Elementary School, 1045 E. Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53703, from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm in the school auditorium. The City provided a presentation and answered questions regarding the project. The presentation from the meeting can be found here: April 4, 2019 Public Meeting Presentation
November 10, 2016 - Festival Foods
A public information meeting was held on November 10, 2016 at Festival Foods (Community Conference Room), 810 E Washington Ave. Madison, WI 53703, 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm. The City provided a presentation and answered questions regarding the project.
April 28, 2016 - Lapham Elementary School
A public information meeting was held on Apr 28, 2016 at Lapham Elemetary School, 1045 E. Dayton St. Madison WI 53703, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm. The City provided a brief presentation on the project and answered any questions and listened to public input. Materials from the meeting are available below: