Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Beginning June 8, 2020 the Building Inspection plan review and zoning review counters will be open to the public by appointment only.
For information about scheduling an appointment and other Building Inspection services please see the Building Inspection Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
View all impacts to City service on the City's COVID-19 website.
Building Moving Permit Procedures
Print out instructions (PDF)
- Fill out a Building Moving permit (PDF) data sheet from Building Inspection and return it to Building Inspection so that it can be entered into the system.
- Contact each Department to obtain a list of requirements for approval:
Engineering: Christy Bachmann (608) 266-4095
Traffic Engineering: Mark Winter (608) 266-6526
Forestry: Dean Kahl (608) 266-4816
Streets: Chris Kelley (608) 266-4680
Police: Cindy Mierow (608) 266-4613
Water Utility: Dennis Cawley (608) 261-9243
Zoning: Pat Anderson (608) 266-5978
- Provide a dolly layout to the Engineering Department.
- Provide a Certificate of Insurance to the Building Inspection Department showing general liability and property damage limits of at least $1,000,000.00 per occurrence.
- Provide an indemnification agreement to the Building Inspection Department stating the city of Madison will not be held responsible for any damage that may occur during the move.
- Provide a bond not to exceed $50,000.00 to the Building Inspection Department guaranteeing that the applicant will remove the building from the City street, property or right of way upon receiving notice to do so. The Director of the Building Inspection Department will make the determination as to the exact amount of the bond.
- The Mover shall be a pre-qualified as a public works contractor by the Engineering Department.
- Buildings that will end up on a lot in the City of Madison will require approval from Zoning. Provide a site plan to scale showing how the building will be place on the lot.
- Buildings being placed on lots in the City of Madison will require a surety bond not to exceed $50,000.00 to assure the exterior of the building will be finished in a workman like manner, including painting and final grading. The Director of Building Inspection will determine the exact amount of the bond.
- The Owner/Mover shall be responsible for contacting all other utilities that may need to move obstructions along the route. For example: Gas and electric, telephone, cable TV, railroad signal and wires, etc. It is very important for the Owner/Mover to drive the route and contact everyone that needs to remove obstacles.
- Place any no parking signs that you receive 48 hour prior to the move.
- The fee for the moving permit is $200, to be paid when the permit is issued.
Search BI services
- Building Inspection, (608) 266-4559
- FAX: (608) 266-6522
For interpreter, translator, materials in alternate formats or other accommodations, please call the Building Inspection Division at (608) 266-4551.
Español: Si necesita interprete, traductor, materiales en diferentes formatos, u otro tipo de ayuda para acceder a estos formularios, por favor llame al (608) 266-4551.
Hmoob: Yog tias koj xav tau ib tug neeg txhais lus, txhais ntawv, los sis xav tau cov ntaub ntawv pab kom paub txog cov lus qhia no, thov hu rau Chaw Haujlwm Koog Soj Ntsuam Tsev (Building Inspection Division) (608) 266-4551.