Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Beginning June 8, 2020 the Building Inspection plan review and zoning review counters will be open to the public by appointment only.

For information about scheduling an appointment and other Building Inspection services please see the Building Inspection Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.

View all impacts to City service on the City's COVID-19 website.

Rental Property Emergency Contact Registration

Building Inspection has updated the Rental Property Emergency Contact Registration process after changes in state legislature. Instead of yearly renewals, landlords must update their registration only if there's a change in contact information. If the contact information is the same as last year, property owners don't need to contact us.


Please note: The emergency contact information for rentals must be up-to-date at all times. Property owners must report updates as soon as information changes. Building Inspection will remind owners to submit registration changes twice a year.


For new registrations, owners must provide at least one name and phone number in case of emergencies.


Register or Update Contact Information

Please don't send us paper forms, they’re difficult for us to input. You can register your property with this simplified online form. You'll no longer need a user account, only the property's parcel number. If you need the parcel number, you can find that information on the Assessor's Property Lookup page.

If you have trouble with the online form, give us a call at the phone number below.


RPEC Background

Per MGO 27.04(2)(k), landlords must register an emergency contact's name and number. City of Madison Fire, Police, and Building Inspection use this information when responding to emergencies.


Have Questions?

Call Building Inspection at (608) 266-4551.

Last Updated: 02/05/2020

Search BI services

Notification of Building Code Changes

Would you like to be informed of Building Code Ordinance Changes via email?

Subscribe at

Translation Services

For interpreter, translator, materials in alternate formats or other accommodations, please call the Building Inspection Division at (608) 266-4551.

Español: Si necesita interprete, traductor, materiales en diferentes formatos, u otro tipo de ayuda para acceder a estos formularios, por favor llame al (608) 266-4551.

Hmoob: Yog tias koj xav tau ib tug neeg txhais lus, txhais ntawv, los sis xav tau cov ntaub ntawv pab kom paub txog cov lus qhia no, thov hu rau Chaw Haujlwm Koog Soj Ntsuam Tsev (Building Inspection Division) (608) 266-4551.

  • Contact Building Inspection

  • get it done

  • connect

  • City News