Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
View all impacts to City service on the City's COVID-19 website.
Permit renewal includes:
- ZTRHP-R Renewal Form
- Any changes since your last permit payment of:
- Floor plans.
- Affidavits -- which are needed for all hosts and cohosts listed in your online advertised listings and other advertising locations.
- Contact, ownership, other information.
- Annual permit fee of $100.
- Complete ZTRHP-R renewal form:
- Complete the ZTRHP-R Renewal Form. This form asks if you have changes to the information submitted with your application. These changes could be for the floor plans, affidavit information, cohosts, or other information.
- If you have changes to report, find all forms here.
- Use online account to submit form and pay renewal fee:
- Log in to the City of Madison Licenses & Permits.
- Click on the Permitting tab near the top of the page, and your ZTRHP permit record will appear under the Records header.
- Click on your ZTRHP permit record.
- Click on the Record Info. A drop-down menu will open. Choose the Attachments option from the drop down menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the Add button.
- In the File Upload dialog box, click the Add button.
- Browse to the file location on your device where your ZTRHP-R Renewal Form is located.
- Select the appropriate file.
- Click on the Open button.
- Click on the Continue button when the upload is complete.
- Click on the appropriate document type in the Type drop-down.
- For no changes, select Renewal-NO CHANGES in the drop-down.
- If you have changes to report:
- Select Renewal-WITH CHANGES in the drop-down
- Repeat steps #4-5 to upload form(s) showing new changes and identify their file types.
- Click the Save button.
- We will review your ZTRHP-R document.
- Check your email for additional instructions about when to pay the $100 annual fee.
If you do not have an online account, you must create one now. Here’s how:
(Only for operators who already have a ZTRHP permit issued to them.)
- Go to the Licenses and Permits portal and create an account: https://elam.cityofmadison.com/CitizenAccess/Default.aspx
- If you already have an online accountt, we can use that account. You will need to email us to tell us what email address you used (Step 2, below).
- Reply to zoningTRH@cityofmadison.com. Tell us what email address you used to create your account. It may take up to one week to get the new account linked to your ZTRHP permit.
- Wait for us to link your ZTRHP permit account to your email address. We will let you know when we have linked your account.
- Go to your online account (STEP B, above) and renew your ZTRHP permit.
Renewal is not complete until you turn in the ZTRHP-R Renewal form and pay the $100 annual fee. After June 30, we add a $100 late fee to all renewals. If you do not renew your permit, on June 30 you must:
- Remove all short-term rental listings and advertising.
- Stop all short-term rental hosting.
Contact zoningTRH@cityofmadison.com if you have any questions.
Search BI services
Permit & License Required
Currently, all TRH operators must have a valid TRH license from Public Health before advertising or renting out any short-term rental. As of 10/1/20, all operators must also have a valid Zoning Tourist Rooming House Permit (ZTRHP).
Remember - If you are unsure, ask the Zoning Staff
- (608) 266-4551
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam